compiz team mailing list archive
Mailing list archive
[Bug 1174495] Re: Window Managers instability with r600 radeon and high monitor resolutions
** Description changed:
- KWin 4.10.2 is using MSAA visuals with 13.04's mesa. This is unintended and leads to resource exhaustion which eventually crashes kwin.
+ KWin 4.10.2 and Compiz 0.9.9 are using MSAA visuals with 13.04's mesa.
+ This is unintended and leads to resource exhaustion which eventually crashes the WM.
This affects all users on the r600 with sufficiently sized displays.
- Run Kwin on the r600, if it does not crash after a while we are happy.
+ Run Kwin or Unity with an r600 card, if it does not crash after a while we are happy.
- [Regression Potential]
+ [Regression Potential]
None, the fix was done by an upstream KWin and Mesa developer plus it has been incorporated into Fedora for a while plus it was used elsewhere in KWin already but not in this specific code path.
I think the version of kwin included in 13.04 contains a known bug as described here:
My understanding of the problem is as follows:
* The Mesa radeon r600 driver recently added support for MSAA GLX visuals
* Kwin isn't aware of MSAA properties and happens to (incorrectly) pick MSAA visuals for everything
* These visuals occupy a large amount of memory when running at high monitor resolutions
* Mesa is "only" capable of mapping 256MB of visuals into CPU address space at once
* Kwin's oversize visuals exceeds this limit, resulting in constant crashes
The two radeon systems I have both crash immediately after logging in,
when running with at a resolution of 2560x1440 and desktop effects
enabled. After restarting kwin, a crash can be induced by performing
actions that triggers desktop effects/animations. The resulting
callstack is attached.
- ProblemType: Bug
- DistroRelease: Ubuntu 13.04
+ ProblemType: BugDistroRelease: Ubuntu 13.04
Package: kde-window-manager 4:4.10.2-0ubuntu2
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-19.29-generic 3.8.8
Uname: Linux 3.8.0-19-generic x86_64
Date: Mon Apr 29 19:53:57 2013
InstallationDate: Installed on 2013-04-27 (2 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" - Release amd64 (20130424)
- MarkForUpload: True
- SourcePackage: kde-workspace
+ MarkForUpload: TrueSourcePackage: kde-workspace
UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
+ Compiz (unity) is affected by the same issue as shown in this
You received this bug notification because you are a member of compiz
packagers, which is subscribed to compiz in Ubuntu.
Window Managers instability with r600 radeon and high monitor
To manage notifications about this bug go to: