compiz team mailing list archive
Mailing list archive
[Bug 741869] Re: Unity/compiz intercepts Super and Alt keypresses from grabbed windows like VMs.
The behaviour is much better after patching but for example in VMware
Workstation (or Player) some problems persist:
When the keyboard is grabbed (mouse is in the window of a VM with VMware
Tools) and the keys (Super or Alt) are pressed nothing happens in Unity
as expected. But when the keyboard is ungrabbed (mouse leaves the
window) shortly after the keypress Unity behaves as if the key was
1. In VMware Workstation (or Player) start a VM with VMware Tools installed.
2. Move the mouse cursor inside the window of the VM.
3. Press Super or Alt.
4. In less than 2 seconds move the mouse cursor outside of the window.
5. Nothing should happen in Unity but Unity actually behaves as if the key (Super or Alt) was pressed again.
It seems that there is a timeout for this behaviour. When the keyboard
is ungrabbed after more than approximately 3 seconds then nothing
happens in Unity as expected.
Alternative test case (does not require VMware Tools but is not so annoying.):
1. In VMware Workstation (or Player) start a VM.
2. Grab the keyboard in the VM (Ctrl+G or mouse click).
3. Press Alt. (Super does not demonstrate this problem completely in this variant.)
4. In less than 2 seconds ungrab the kyboard by pressing Ctrl+Alt.
5. Nothing should happen in Unity but Unity actually behaves as if the key (Alt) was pressed again. (With Super Dash only flashes shortly.)
...but since this problem does not show up when the VM is in full screen
mode then it seems that the bugfix in Unity behaves correctly as
described in this case.
You received this bug notification because you are a member of compiz
packagers, which is subscribed to compiz in Ubuntu.
Unity/compiz intercepts Super and Alt keypresses from grabbed windows
To manage notifications about this bug go to: