context team mailing list archive

Re: switching to the next luatex "generation"

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
Hello,

Hans sent me a patch to fix behaviour of the latest LuaTeX (that I
still need to test). Should we wait? Should we patch the otf files and
switch to the latest luatex? (linux-ppc and solaris would lag behind
until we get the new binaries, but that doesn't seem too critical)

Should I wait for the "big package" of changes?

the big package of changes will not come next week since it involves quite a lot (best do an alpha for that)

On the other hand: I'm still looking for a better way to deal with
such incompatibilities.

normally luatex/mkiv can be in sync but it just happens that i do a lot of code rewrit eright now (probably the one with the biggest impact) and it cannot be done in a small-step way

- There is a way to switch to an older ConTeXt, but that doesn't
really help since LuaTeX changes too fast.
- There is experimental branch that is not fully functional (but could
be made functional, I'm only not sure what binaries to commit there).
Some ideas or discussions would be welcome.
- One could misuse a different server or a different subdomain to put
"more experimental stuff" there and then only sync if there have been
no problems observed for more than three days
- One could put the whole texmf-whatever tree with all the modules
under version control; one looses the possibility to choose modules,
but at least the option to roll back in time would be there

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE