context team mailing list archive

Re: One more arch (OS X, snow leopard)

We need several things in this case:

1.) We need a name for Darwin x86_64. Should it be osx-64? Any other
suggestions? The name "intel" is not particularly suitable for i386
any more, but well ...

2.) This is for Taco: I would be grateful if we could have a switch
similar to --ppc in luatex building script for:
    a) -arch ppc
    b) -arch i386
    c) -arch x86_64
doing exactly the same thing as -ppc switch, just having a different
argument for arch. I would leave it up to you to name it (maybe
exactly the same way: -arch=ppc or -macarch=ppc) and I do not care
about backward compatibility of the way to call the script.

I'm really impressed - it's possible to compile ppc binaries on Snow
Leopard, but not possible to execute them without additional software
installed. This is what cross-compiling metapost for ppc returns me:

checking whether the C compiler works... configure: error: in
`/Users/mojca/context/build-binaries/src/metapost/build':
configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
See `config.log' for more details.

but I will try to get over it. I think that I just need to install
additional software to support running ppc applications (or if Taco
can give me a hint how to trick the building process to use host
programs to execute some commands, but that's not of too big
importance).

I didn't know this would be the case, but I'm very grateful that Snow
Leopard supports compiling for Tiger. One problem less (though we'll
probably drop support for Tiger once the next version of OS comes
out).

3.) We have never really started to use universal binaries, and maybe
there's no need to do so. Some people were enthusiastic about
universal binaries, but the truth is that Apple already dropped all
the ppc stuff out of their OS and now makes i386+x86_64 fat binaries.

If we do it (for example for TeX Live packages?), it might make sense
to bundle all the three architectures together for the moment.

4.) I'll ask Hans to add x86_64 architecture to some places, I just
need to change a few things first.
Is the name osx-64 OK?

Mojca