context team mailing list archive

Re: Linux PPC

As far as I understand it, there is nothing (except the time taken)
that can stop a user having 64-bit hardware at their disposal to
recompile the kernel and packages the way it suits him or her, so I
guess it is possible that purely 64-bit Linux happens at some moment
and it MAY  be incompatible with 32-bit powerpc (see what was
happening with i386 and amd64 debian) in fact it WILL be incompatible
unless it contains compatibility libraries which it does not have to.
Not that we have to worry about it now. But yes, at some point someone
may complain.

Piotr