context team mailing list archive

Re: ConTeXt Minimals: some statistics of usage

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 16:16, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
>> (joke aside: we need to figure out what to do with it some time pretty soon ...)
>
>  Which one is it?  osx-ppc?

Apple will probably release 10.7 (Lion) very soon. My coworkers
already have the latest XCode 4 (beta) that (from what I remember)
don't come with Tiger support any more. I didn't check whether they
support PPC, but I highly doubt it. They have put a lot of effort into
LLVM support. I have tried to compile LuaTeX using LLVM, but I didn't
test the performance differences yet (and it's also pretty non-trivial
to test).

So ... new XCode is there, new OS is almost there ... but there are
still four to eight times more users than those of all the
non-mswin/linux/mac platforms combined ...

Wiki statistics:
- intel 10.6: 80.5%
- intel 10.5: 13.8%
- intel 10.4: 2.20 %
- all ppc: 3.22 %

Mojca

I wonder ... when we started providing the minimals and building them
on the latest version of OS (Tiger), there was no single Panther user
complaining. But there are so many PPC and Tiger users now ...