Re: charset mess inside source files

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 5:57 AM, Alex Samorukov <samm@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> While hacking image support I found that some source files are using
> different character sets. Most of the files are encoded in windows-1251
> encoding, while some of the uses UTF-8 charset. This makes my debugger and
> editor very unhappy.

These are in directories ced and ccom and are caused by the
translation patch. What are the errors caused by this? AFAICR only the
comments use non US-ASCII characters and all tools I know ignore those
anyway. You can manually set your editor's encoding to ISO-LATIN-1
(8859-1) should you get problems, this is what I do using Eclipse.

> My proposal is to convert anything to UTF-8 and (not sure) to remove russian
> part of the license from sources.  Later commiters may translate comments to
> english and charset problem will gone.

Never remove licensing information without permission from the
original authors. Reverting the russian license header back to
windows-1251 for the two directories is probably the most sensible
thing to do.