Re: cuneiform license troubles

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 10:33 AM, Daniel Baumann <daniel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> my cuneiform packages were rejected from debian with the following
> message, will you take care about fixing it?
>
> ---snip---
> Hi Maintainer,
>
> rejected, upstream blindly copied its own license/copyright header above
> all files. Please kick them and let em fix it.
> One example are the zlib files. They definitely have a different
> copyright holder and different license, yet upstream claims its his.
> There are more of such things, but thats up to upstream to find and fix.

It would have been nice if he would have listed the specific places
where these license errors were found. A quick look leads me to
suspect that these two trees are problematic:

cuneiform_src/Addfiles/*
cuneiform_src/Kern/icrashreport/*

Neither of these should not be currently used and they contain
windows-specific stuff (a DCOM component and some sort of custom crash
reporting tool). Basically you could create a new custom source tar by
dropping these two directories. Is this a workable quick fix?

In the future at least the latter directory should be dropped
altogether, since it is win32 specific and quite useless. But I'd like
to talk to Cognitive people first to see how we could merge our
branches and determine the future roadmap.

If there is code with incorrect headers outside these two directories,
please let me know.