Re: Can I use FreeImage library (license question)

Hello, Dmitry,

On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 20:32 +0300, Dmitry Polevoy wrote:
> I am a newcomer in Open Source code and I need help. Is FreeImage
> Public License
> (http://freeimage.sourceforge.net/freeimage-license.txt) compatible
> with cuneiform license? Can I use FreeImage library
> (http://freeimage.sourceforge.net/license.html) to read/write image?

Sounds like what applies to our case is:

3.7. Larger Works.
You may create a Larger Work by combining Covered Code with other code
not governed by the terms of this License and distribute the Larger
Work as a single product. In such a case, You must make sure the
requirements of this License are fulfilled for the Covered Code.

In such a case Cuneiform is clearly a larger work. Therefore we can
distribute binaries and source code freely under whatever licence
pleases to us, provided that we put a notice that we make use of this
library and distribute the source code for it with the package or make
it available on the website.

Basically as far as I understand, this whole FIPL stuff was introduced
so that we are not obliged to GPL our larger work if we use FreeImage.

FreeImage is quite popular and there is a package of FreeImage in
universe for Ubuntu so I have no objections here.

I think it's up to Jussi.

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev