Re: How better to work with unicode?

Hello, Dmitry!

On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 10:56 +0300, Dmitry Polevoy wrote:
> Do you know a good (may be standard) library to have a deal with
> Unicode strings and conversions?
> I found ICU (http://icu-project.org/) but I can't understand should we
> use it or use some thing else.

I know of a nice FAQ which will probably help you out:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html#libs

Also, see "How do I have to modify my software?", "How should the UTF-8
mode be activated?" etc. Personally, I use multibyte functions provided
by glibc, therefore I just don't care about it, but as we need to
support MSVC, ICU & libiconv for conversions is probably the best bet.

I don't know which multibyte functions MSVC offers and whether they are
compatible with glibc implementations (as they still don't support C99 I
wouldn't be surprised if problems arise).

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev