Re: Choosing other compression method for distribution

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 11:59 AM, Robert Wohlrab <robert.wohlrab@xxxxxx> wrote:

> I would suggest that lzma-utils are used. They are supported by most
> distributions. rpm and dpkg also supports them inside their package formats.
> xz-utils is the next generation of the tools, but currently under development.

Thanks for this very exhaustive test. Unfortunately there is one more
issue: compatibility with OSX and Windows. Lzma does not come standard
on either of them. Windows probably does not understand bzip (or even
tar), but I think most win devs who want the source will just grab it
from source control. Still, I'd like to see only one source package
for simplicity.

Unfortunately this may very well mean that we have to use plain old
zip. It's the only thing that works on all platforms.