Re: Make uninstall support before release

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 12:12 PM, Yury V. Zaytsev <yury@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I patched the current trunk and it seems to work very nicely, the only
> shortcoming I can think of is that it does not delete the
>
> /usr/share/cuneiform
>
> folder itself, only the files that it contains. But after all, I don't
> think it's a big deal.

You should never, ever, ever install stuff to /usr manually. The only
one that is allowed to touch it is the package manager. Manual
fiddling WILL break. No exceptions.

I can think of two different use cases here:

Installing so that every user can use it. This is the above issue: you
should use packages.

Running it by yourself: just run it from the build directory. It's
very easy, the readme tells you how to do it.

Once cf gets to Debian, it should go quickly to Ubuntu. The maintainer
probably creates a PPA where you can download packages or you can
build the package yourself. It's all very straightforward.