Re: New release imminent

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Yury V. Zaytsev <yury@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> He says, that the newest bzr does crash for him on Ubuntu.
>
> Yet another crasher on OS X:
>
> http://openocr.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3155

I made the release without fixing this issue. Sorry.

These kinds of bugs are extremely difficult for two reasons:

1) I don't have that much time to work on this
2) the internal representation used by Cuneiform is not at all clean

Fixing bugs in programs such as Cuneiform that operate on pointers and
bit manipulation are extremely frustrating to fix. What usually
happens is that memory gets slightly corrupted and then a couple of
thousand function calls later things explode. Not to mention that
modern Linuxes have stricter memory protection than Windows
(especially earlier versions) which triggers bugs a lot easier.

In order to effectively fix these kinds of bugs, you need a mental
model of what the code is supposed to be doing. The only people who
have that are Cognitive developers, but as far as I know they are all
working on other projects now.