dailydebs-team team mailing list archive

Re: Déjà Dup's daily script

On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 18:35 +0100, James Westby wrote:
> > lp:deja-dup
> > run ./autogen.sh
> > run make && make dist
> > run tar xj -C $EXTRACTDIR -f *.tar.bz2 && cp -r debian $EXTRACTDIR/*/
> > run rm -r * && mv $EXTRACTDIR/*/* ."
>
> What is $EXTRACTDIR here? Is it expected to be set when you use the recipe?
> That would be fragile.

EXTRACTDIR is just a tmpdir created by my script.  It could be anything;
it could be generated on the fly.  Just an implementation detail to
store the extracted files for a second until they're moved back into
$PWD.

> Are the last two lines because "make dist" doesn't include the debian
> directory in the tarball?

Not quite.  Only the "cp -r debian $EXTRACTDIR/*/" bit is to handle the
debian folder.  The rest of the last two lines are just a switcheroo.

I take all the contents of the tarball, move them to a temporary
directory, delete everything from the bzr directory, and move all the
tarball stuff back.  So most of the last two lines is just to support
using the dist files.

> In your example I'm not sure what would be done by "make dist" that
> wouldn't be done by "make c" or whatever. Going through the tarball
> seems to be an unncessary step there.

I'm not sure what you mean by "make c".  You were giving an example
target ala "make all"?

One difference is that is not unusual for projects to have dist hooks
and special handling for the dist target.  It's good for testing that
you are correctly distributing all needed files and such.  In short,
it's nice to have one path for consumable code, so there are no
surprises when you do eventually run 'make dist' at release time.

--
mterry • Canonical