data-platform team mailing list archive

Data Platform PPAs inclusion request accepted

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for requesting the inclusion of the charmed-mongodb, mongodb-exporter and percona-backup-mongodb PPAs. We would like to confirm that the request has been accepted and the details has been added to the tracking repository:

charmed-mongodb

* Project details: https://git.launchpad.net/ubuntu-security-customer-ppa-tracking/tree/data-platform-charmed-mongodb/project.yml * Configuration details: https://git.launchpad.net/ubuntu-security-customer-ppa-tracking/tree/data-platform-charmed-mongodb/config.yml
* Release specific details:
  - Ubuntu 22.04:
> supported packages: https://git.launchpad.net/ubuntu-security-customer-ppa-tracking/tree/data-platform-charmed-mongodb/jammy-supported.txt

mongodb-exporter

* Project details: https://git.launchpad.net/ubuntu-security-customer-ppa-tracking/tree/data-platform-mongodb-exporter/project.yml * Configuration details: https://git.launchpad.net/ubuntu-security-customer-ppa-tracking/tree/data-platform-mongodb-exporter/config.yml
* Release specific details:
  - Ubuntu 22.04:
> supported packages: https://git.launchpad.net/ubuntu-security-customer-ppa-tracking/tree/data-platform-mongodb-exporter/jammy-supported.txt

percona-backup-mongodb

* Project details: https://git.launchpad.net/ubuntu-security-customer-ppa-tracking/tree/data-platform-percona-backup-mongodb/project.yml * Configuration details: https://git.launchpad.net/ubuntu-security-customer-ppa-tracking/tree/data-platform-percona-backup-mongodb/config.yml
* Release specific details:
  - Ubuntu 22.04:
> supported packages: https://git.launchpad.net/ubuntu-security-customer-ppa-tracking/tree/data-platform-percona-backup-mongodb/jammy-supported.txt
  - Ubuntu 23.10:
> supported packages: https://git.launchpad.net/ubuntu-security-customer-ppa-tracking/tree/data-platform-percona-backup-mongodb/mantic-supported.txt

You and other indicated points of contact have been added as subscribers to this repository. If changes are required in the future, please request them by creating a merge proposal in Launchpad.

But as mentioned in the other email thread, we still need clarifications for the items below:

- Support until 2032: upstream EOD is 31-Jul-2025 for Percona Server for MongoDB 6.0 3 and TBD for Percona Backup for MongoDB as per https://www.percona.com/services/policies/percona-software-support-lifecycle. The security team usually doesn't support packages versions after their EOL (e.g. OpenJDK or MySQL). It seems this is already committed, so we expect the data platform team to assist our work after EOLs since they are more familiar with the packages and their internals. We will discuss this further with Alex Burrage, but did not want to block this request for longer.

- ESM Support: We are assuming the expectation is to have ESM style support: available critical, high, and selected medium CVE fixes. Please let us know otherwise.

- Package updates delivery path/processes: can you please explain how we should propose/upload patches? Should we follow any special versioning scheme? Should we use the PPAs packages are copied from? (e.g. https://launchpad.net/~taurus/+archive/ubuntu/test-psmdb6).

- Git repository: https://launchpad.net/~data-platform was indicated. We don't see git repositories there, only PPAs. It is fine if the team does not work with git. But asking just in case.

- Architectures: The security team does not yet have special hardware to test, so we only build/test on amd64. I see some packages are built on i368 and it is expected to support ARM7 in 24.04. The data platform team will need to assist with this.

- Percona Server MongoDB version: The PPA is at version 6.0.6-5, but there are newer 6.0.x upstream versions at https://github.com/percona/percona-server-mongodb. It was indicated that in 24.04 a minor version upgrade will be available. Will the existing one for jammy gonna be upgraded or even maintained? The more we deviate from upstream on their versions, the more complicated the backports can be.

- golang-1.21: Any reason to not use the archive version that we should be aware?

Mauricio/Tom: Do you have any support further question?

From this moment on, the PPA is being monitored by the Ubuntu Security
and SEG teams. For security related questions or issues, please join the
~Security-engineering mattermost channel or write to security-crew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. For support questions please join the ~Canonical Support channel, and for SEG (Sustaining Engineering Group/team) questions please join the
~Sustaining Engineering channel.

In case of regressions detected with a bug-fix provided by SEG, please
create a case in the support portal (see ‘Canonical Staff Help Desk
Support’ in the [New Starter Tasks](https://sites.google.com/a/canonical.com/about-canonical/home/new-starter-tasks) page).