dbusmenu-list team mailing list archive

Re: Proposal for aboutToShow() implementation

On Mon, 2010-01-04 at 15:18 +0100, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> We need a way to implement this in dbusmenu without introducing latency.
> Here is my proposal for this:
>
> Add a "bool aboutToShow(id)" method to the DBus interface. This method
> would be called when the menu is about to show and should return true if
> the menu needs to be refreshed, false otherwise.

I guess I figured we could just use the "event" call for this.  I don't
see why the function call needs a return, in that the signal to update
the menu would effectively be the same as a return of TRUE in this case.

I agree with Marco that I think we're going to have to provide a way to
update the menu.  I'm betting in a large number of cases we'll need that
in order to make it work.  I don't think it will be especially pretty,
but I'm not sure that any "over DBus" solution could achieve that
here :)

		--Ted