dbusmenu-list team mailing list archive

Adding a label property to StatusNotifierItem

Hi,

(This is not exactly for DBusMenu, but this list seems to be a common
ground for all involved people, so I choose to post it there)

Right now a StatusNotifierItem can only display an icon. Last week at
the Ubuntu Developer Summit (UDS) we discussed the idea of adding a
Label property to the org.kde.StatusNotifierItem interface. This would
provide a nice way for applications to display short text in addition to
the icon, without resorting to the use of custom pixmaps made of text
rendered over existing icons.

Here are some use cases for such a property:
- A keyboard layout switcher could show the name of the current layout.
- A battery indicator could show the remaining percentage.
- A mail client or an RSS agregator could show the unread message count.

What do you think of this?

Aurélien

Follow ups