deja-dup-hackers team mailing list archive

Request for comments for partial restore

As discussed with Michael I will now address another aspect of accessing backups - partial restore [0].

Mockup:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1493539/part-rest-3.jpg

Since I only have rather low quality camera at hand I will add some notes to mockups.

I read through the comments of bug and tried to address (besides making restoring really easy) also comment #4 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/deja-dup/+bug/306982/comments/4 ) of user feeling lost in the assistant. To address this I had added at the top of assistant progress bar which would mark current step in the assistant and would have superimposed text over it that would go along the lines of: "Next: Confirm the files you want to restore". Ideally I would like to add a widget that would mark progress in the assistant with bars at crucial steps and text next to them (something similar to what flickr currently has to present users with new layout (seen at any flickr photo, http://www.flickr.com/photos/marfis75/3070706780/) , but such a widget could take a lot of space

Another solution to this would be to change the text of forward button from "Forward" to "Forward/Next: Confirm your files!".

Progress bar's advantage is that it is more graphical solution and communicates to the user how far he still has to go before he starts restoring but it also takes some space and can be considered a bit of an overkill since our assistant is rather short (but not _that_ short: possible notification with introduction - select files - select where to restore - confirm files and location - actual restore - summary).

Under the progress bar the real interface begins.

On the left:
First we have a ComboBox[1] with default option of showing all files that are in backup and with additional options of showing versions for a week ago, a month ago and three months ago and additional option of calender (with marked dates of backups if they are not daily).

Under time option we have user-defined bookmarks to notable directories (Documents, Downloads, etc.) with possible addition of search box at the bottom (not drawn on my mockups!)

On the right:
	First there are breadcrumbs. (see below)

Under breadcrumbs an IconView lists all available files in selected directory.

As for breadcrumbs... they are a bit tricky. It appears that Gnome currently does not have a widget for breadcrumbs and Nautilus apparently uses a custom widget. That said, the breadcrumbs are in development and I think it would not be good for us to start re- implementing our own version.

Looking at [2], Nautilus Elementary use case would offer some awesome usability for our users. I will try to talk to the developer that worked on this widget and see how far it is and possibly give a hand with it (with general

Providing that breadcrumbs do not become a viable option in near future another possible option would be to use an input box that would show the path name where user is currently located and possibly offer search capabilities (if user just starts typing (if he starts typing with "/" or "~/" we should of course recognize this and start accepting path instead of search term).

Opinions, ideas, suggestions warmly welcomed ;)

Regards,
Urban

[0] https://bugs.launchpad.net/deja-dup/+bug/306982
[1] http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/unstable/GtkComboBox.html