API testing..some initial results

Hi Morten,
Mark and I have been doing some brainstorming and experimentation around
the testing of the API. This came about after some discussions in the
experts meeting around consistency of the API across different versions .
Mark and I were thinking what we would like to have would be a suite of
external tests of the API, mainly for regression purposes between
versions.  The idea being to develop tests from one version based on the
/api/schemas (i.e. stable)  end point, and then to test these against
another version (i.e. dev) . Mark developed some code  to develop tests
against the schemas <https://apps.dhis2.org/demo/api/schemas.json> endpoint
 and then we plugged this into something called pyresttest
<https://github.com/svanoort/pyresttest>. The repo of the API test for
DHIS2 is here <https://github.com/dhis2/dhis2-api-testing>.

Interestingly, it has picked up some inconsitencies between what is in the
schema and what is in the schema end points.

Note carefully here from this link
<https://apps.dhis2.org/dev/api/schemas/programRuleAction.json>
 (/api/programRuleActions)

Note that "trackedEntityAttribute" is present here.

However from https://apps.dhis2.org/demo/api/schemas.json, it is missing.

This is one type of thing we would like to pick up.

We are still thinking through the best way to approach the testing and your
thoughts would be most welcome.

Regards,
Jason

PNG image