Internationalization and localization review

First, apologies for cross-posting. I was not sure who was on which list.

Mark and I have put together a review document regarding translations and
localization. This was spurred in part by my recent interaction with the
i18n community who produces the Pootle software, which is used for the DHIS2
Translation server <http://translate.dhis2.org/> and the challenges we face
in getting translations into the software.

I think we can all agree that the current state of the translations is
pretty poor. Much of the software is at best partially translated.
Translations typically are an effort taken by particular implementers, and
when the realize how much work it is, they typically stall. Certain
translations such as Arabic were performed to almost completion at the
time, but have since not regularly been updated along with the source code.

I think we can do better, and Mark and I put this document together to
suggest some possible way forward to improve how we internationalize the
software and hopefully bring in the broader localization community into the
project.

Please have a look, edit and comment here

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1u0YhRZD2Q3F8p6VCsz7dXdZxJL45R0qsEfsNc0OCJYs/edit?usp=sharing

Best regards,
Jason

--