Re: running 11 dhis2 webapps on one tomcat

On 4/7/09, Bob Jolliffe <bobjolliffe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2009/4/7 Lars Helge Øverland <larshelge@xxxxxxxxx>:

> I suspect this is a bit of a fringe case - I don't know too many folk
> who might want to run 11 dhis instances on one server.

Not at all. Though 11 is a bit high, we have the same issue on our
"demo" server, and the need for such setups will just increase, I
think. On the other hand, running one instance on each of a bunch of
virtual machines on Amazon's EC2 cloud may be a better option from an
administrative point of view.

>Personally I like idea of being able to run identical wars for each
> instance (rather than poking around the embedded hibernate
> properties).  In a really large setup - like they might end up having
> in India - it might then be possible to imagine a pool of application
> servers (glassfish or tomcat) and a pool of contexts.  Contexts could
> then be migrated fairly seemlessly and transparently between the
> servers to optimize load balancing.

Yes, I think this is what is needed (though the cloud is an alternative).

> Of course this would be dependent on the web portal initialisation
> picking up a context parameter and passing this on to hibernate in its
> initialisation.  I'll have a look at how this can be done.  I know you
> would do it quicker, but its a good exercise for me.
>
> Tailoring DHIS2 for scalability from the lite to the massive ... :-)

Indeed ;-)

Knut

--
Cheers,