Re: dhis lite

Hi Knut

2009/4/16 Knut Staring <knutst@xxxxxxxxx>:
> 2009/4/16 Lars Helge Øverland <larshelge@xxxxxxxxx>
>>
>>> That's pretty big!  I wonder if we should consider distributing it
>>> separately as well ie. without the dhis and birt wars.  One of the
>>> features we can add to the "control panel" is a user
>>
>> Some sort of automated update mechanism would be nice, yes...

I wasn't really thinking of automatic at this stage ... just a simple
user interface.  Hopefully have something finished tomorrow before I
get distracted again.

> I agree it would be nice, but mainly because there should be no need to
> download new birt.war files very often, whereas you would like to be able to
> update dhis.war without having to download a package whcih also contains
> birt.war if you already have that. In comparison to the wars, the lite
> server is so small as not to matter significantly. It makes eminent sense to
> have at least dhis.war separate, but it would be even more ideal if people
> would only have to download the diff with their current war, using rsynch or
> similar (as mentioned before).
> I actually developed this kind of functionality (swapping wars, changing
> database) in BitRock last summer, but BR is very far from an ideal
> development environment...

Been thinking a bit about this.  Given that the modus-operandi of
dhis-lite is to run with exploded wars, then theoretically it should
be much more feasible to update a jar here and there or even just
mirror the whole exploded directory structure (using wget).

Of course there are a few risks of breaking things, so I would be very
reluctant to set anything too automatic without enforcing the server
is stopped, database is backed up etc.  Still, some things can be
done.

Regards
Bob