Re: Shortname too short

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 8:26 PM, Bob Jolliffe <bobjolliffe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2009/4/17 Knut Staring <knutst@xxxxxxxxx>:
> > On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Bob Jolliffe <bobjolliffe@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >>
> >>  We have
> >> 'description' which holds an arbitrary amount of text.  So I would opt
> >> to import the full question in here and do some sort of fat truncation
> >> trick for the short names which are too long. How many of them go
> >>
> >> over the limit?
> >
> > 2341
>
> Thats a lot more than you want to do by hand!  Dunno.  Will think some
> more.

For now, I will make do with truncated names + id. We just have to add the
full names to the report tables (which currently rely only on short names -
easy enough to do).

But it is an interesting question whether it is possible to generate
meaningful names (both full and short) from long survey questions (a handful
are over 150 characters), whereas the full question can go into the
description field or similar.

Knut