Re: Shortname too short

> I will throw my two (probably worthless) cents in here. [?]
>
> For the use case you describe Knut (surveys), it is incumbent upon the
> user
> to create a unique AND short name, usually to pull into something like
> SAS,
> SPSS, R or other statistical package (or possibly GIS) that can only deal
> short names. Most survey packages (CSPRO, LimeSurvey, etc) require some
> sort
> of unique and short name as a code for each question. So if the survey has
> been properly implemented from the get-go, there should not be an issue
> here. I would say that this import process should simply be *well
> documented
> *, and that the current data model should not be messed with. It works
> well
> for things like exporting to DBF (compatible with GIS) and releasing this
> restriction could really create a lot of problems, potentially also with
> importing data from DHIS 1.4 (although I have no idea what the actual
> maximum length there is, but I assume it is 25 as well).

Acutally, I thought it was only 20 in DHIS 1.4? What happens at import
then? btw, the maximum length is very useful, not only for the technical
reasons already mentioned, but also for making nice reports (without just
cutting away the often important last part of a DE name). That's the main
reason from a users perspective