Re: Roadmap issues

Since this discussion moved from roadmap to import-export and then
interchange formats... lemme add something to chew for on import-export.

Why aren't we using a diff-based import-export?? Suppose I already have an
exported file and the new export file only should contain the new values, we
can generate only the changed values in the export process. Definitely
reduces time/ file size for places where import-export will be used
monthly/weekly.

Has anyone thought of object serialization?? Where we could serialize
objects and move it to new places... A radical and stupid way, but may be
useful for GIS import-export, where the dxf format may fall short on
representing sharable geographic information. Disease surveillance on the
CBHS may be one candidate...
---
Regards,
Saptarshi PURKAYASTHA
Director R & D, HISP India
Health Information Systems Programme

My Tech Blog:  http://sunnytalkstech.blogspot.com
You Live by CHOICE, Not by CHANCE

2009/4/24 Bob Jolliffe <bobjolliffe@xxxxxxxxx>

> 2009/4/23 Lars Helge Øverland <larshelge@xxxxxxxxx>:
> >

> >> 6 complicates the current import strategy where objects get imported "on
> >> the fly" without temporary storage, maybe we can put this on hold.
> >
> > Actually this holds for 5 as well...
> >

> I'll have to look at this more closely - though I know you will have a
> better idea of what is going on.  In principle it shouldn't really
> matter.  All that's happening in 5 is that we import a <Period> object
> (on the fly, in its entirety or what have you).  Then we just use the
> inherited periodID attribute as we import all the contained
> dataValues.  I am not seeing how this would be fundamentally
> different.  Could be I'm just tired and in need of a beer ...
>
> Cheers
> Bob

Follow ups