Re: weeks calculation

Thank for this helpfull ofert.

I talk within your words.

Bob Jolliffe wrote:
Hi Orvalho

2009/5/11 Orvalho Joaquim Augusto <orvaquim@xxxxxxxxx>:
Well this comment is interesting.

And the question raises from my needs here. I am moving data from a not
dhis2 system to dhis2. And we must do it weekly because dhis2 is not yet
adopted.

I noticed that I had weeks changed on dhis2.

Do you have some examples?  i.e. ones which show that week 1 is
indicated as something specific for a particular year which is
different to the DHIS2 way.  Then maybe we can start thinking about
how DHIS2 should best handle.  Is your data coming from Excel?

It is not Excel.

Some physiology of what we have:
The System being used now is called Modulo Basico (modbas for now on). That system is in MsAccess. It stores data for each form in one table. The table contains for record identification these fields (all in strings): year (YR), week (MTH, it is no mistake), district code (DC), province code (PC) and health center (HC).

The data comens on diferent columns identified by A1, A2 up to An (depending on the form).

As this is what Ministry of Health uses and dhis2 is being prepared to be used in large scale we feed dhis2 using some rudimentar steps:
1. There is a scheduled program per day to convert the tables in MDB
in modbas to mysql (db2sync instead of mysql migration tool because db2syn exports well the keys) 2. Under the mysql server machine there is a python script that take data feeds dhis2 tables.

Step 2 uses periodid generated by dhis2 using the ranges.

For the months this is fine. But for weeks we need to know which week is based on the ranges given by periodid.

Is this clear enough?

And do you need really data to check?

Regards
Bob

PS. I see mysql makes use of a mode argument
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/date-and-time-functions.html#function_week
I guess ISO8601 mode would be mode 3 under this scheme.
Thanks.

But on dhis2 it seems different isn't that?

Regards
Caveman

PPS.  Excel does not have a weeknum function built in.  There is an
analysis toolpack plugin which implements something non-standard -
somteimes described as the US norm - the first week (like other weeks)
ends on Sunday.  It can be any number of days long from 1 to 7.

PPPS.  David Wheeler has done some excellent work on the OpenFormula
SubCommittee of the ODF OASIS TC on figuring out the differences
between all these.  It looks like ODF will eventually adopt two
functions WEEKNUM (which implements the incorrect Excel algorithm) and
ISO_WEEKNUM which implements the correct algorithm.

And now to adjust to dhis2 I need to know how dhis2 does. And Bob raises
this. What I do? I use the algorithm from that java Class?

Caveman

Bob Jolliffe wrote:
Hi