Re: spreadsheet dataentry

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Ola Hodne Titlestad <olati@xxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think the main reason for this request is to accommodate completely
> off-line and non-DHIS2 data entry processes in order to reach out to places
> with computers where you do not have capacity (or it don't make sense) to
> support installations and maintenance of a system like DHIS 2.

Ola is right, though one specific use case I have in mind is infrequent (say
yearly) data collection from professionals who don't have the time to get
familiar with a new system and are very comfortable with spreadsheets. There
is of course also the desire to have minimal downloads, and its hard to beat
an xls or odf file in size. But it would be great if we in most cases could
deploy DHIS "ultralite", especially in cases where we can assume JRE to be
present.

> Still, for other use cases where grid-based data entry inside DHIS 2 is
> requested I think we should look into these tools as this is something that
> could really speed up data entry of relatively simple forms that are
> possible to do for many orgunits or periods at a time. Note that we support
> grid -based data entry already, either trough custom forms or standard forms
> for multidimensional data elements, BUT these do not support using multiple
> orgunits and/or periods.

Yes indeed, I think it is very important for us to focus a bit more on data
entry again - it needs to become more flexible and efficient, and must be
responsive. Being able to select the dimensions along which data is entered
as Ola describes will make it a much more versatile tool, supporting many
more use cases and scenarios. We have also received a list of other
desirable properties, I'll leave them for a separate email.

Knut