Re: patient_dataelement Vs routine_dataelement

2009/6/3 Ola Hodne Titlestad <olati@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi Abyot,
>
> If you read my summary e-mails just before the skype conference you will see
> that my suggestion was NOT to have a different type of data element, and I
> understood from the skype chat that we agreed on the same. What we talked
> about was to possibly make a separation in the user interface to avoid
> confusing the users, but in the background use the same DataElement object,
> but I am not sure that will always be needed as there are lot of overlap
> between routine and CHIS data elements.
>
> As you say, if we want to easily reuse datasets and data entry forms
> functionality we need to use the DataElement object also for client data
> elements. And of course we want to reuse what Murid has implemented
> regarding option lists for pre-defined values for data elements.
>
> The separation comes in DataValue as the PatientDataValue will need other
> properties than the (routine) DataValue.

Agreed.  But what would these properties be exactly?  Two options
which have surfaced are:
1. an additional patientID attribute; or
2. no additional attribute - association of patient as a "source"

The first is most obvious and perhaps simplest.  And I suspect I am
the only one crazy enough to see any merit in exploring the second.
So I'm guessing Abyot will make a PatientDataElement with something
like a patientID.

What else?  Do we need a concept like an encounter (or visit) to which
a date would be tied?  Or can something be done with a PeriodType?

Regards
Bob