Re: to annualize or not, that's the question...

2009/7/22 <johansa@xxxxxxxxxx>

> > Hi,
> >
> > If the annual denominator value is 451.5 and the monthly numerator value
> > is
> > 149 then the annualised monthly value of 401.5 % is correct.
> >

> > Num x Factor = 149 x 12 (approx.) x 100 = 178 000
> >
> > Ind value is then 178 000 / 451.4 = 396 %
> >
> > The annualisation factor in DHIS is based on days and not months, that is
> > why it is not exactly 12, but very close to 12 at least.
>
> Ok, that explains the funky numxfactor value, which triggered my
> suspicions. The data quality for ANC3 is anyway not very good, and in
> addition ANC3 includes third and subsequent visits. So if one woman comes
> for 6 visits during pregnancy, she contributes to one ANC1, one ANC2, and
> three ANC3 visits during her pregnancy. In new forms to be implemented
> octoberish, this has been addressed.
>
> > Your problem seems to be the dnominator data typed into DHIS.
> > Is the annual value really 451.5 or is that a montly estimate of the
> > annual
> > value?
>
> The value entered for 2009 is 451.5, based on a catchment population of a
> bit over 10 000 for this facility (calculated from the chiefdom catchment
> population based on the relative service load of this facility within the
> chiefdom). It might very well be wrong, since the service load is already
> influenced by data quality and also the preferences of people to go there
> (perceived quality of care for example, make people leave their "natural"
> catchment area to go to another clinic). Anyway, it was the strange
> numxfactor that put me off.
>
> So annualized indicator means that a monthly numerator is factored by
> around 12, based on days in the month, to match a yearly denominator? So
> february data is factored by 12 point something, months with 30 days a
> little over 12, while months with 31 days are factored by a little less
> than 12?

Yes. The annualisation factor for monthly values is around 12 yes, depending
as you say on the # of days of the actual month.
Annualisation factor for quarterly values is arounf 4, for weekly about 52.
As you see the annualisation factor depends on the period type of the output
data.