Re: DHIS 2 "lite" should be renamed

2009/8/26 Jason Pickering <jason.p.pickering@xxxxxxxxx>

> Well, seems like the old Diet Coke vs. Coke Lite debate, coming from a
> resident of the home of Coca-Cola. :)
>
> Even as a rather "advanced" user of DHIS2, I have not seen DHIS2Lite
> (or Express) in action. It is not clear to me what the capabilities or
> limitations are, or why I should bother to use it. Regardless of what
> you are going to call it, I think some good marketing material would
> go a very long way.

You are quite right Jason.  Dhis lite was "announced" on this list but I
don't know if it has been given much promotion.  Knut's point is that it is
not light in the sense of reduced functionality.  It is the full dhis but
just packaged to run in a humble desktop setting with next to no
installation requirement.  Unzip and go is the aim.  It has a reduced
resource footprint from a more normal dhis2 install by using a bundled
embedded jetty app (instead of tomcat) and a bundled embedded H2 database
engine (instead of mysql, postgresql or what have you).

All this makes it great for demo purposes (I am sure it will run well off a
stick) as well as low intensity, low spec hardware environments.  Probably
also particularly good for training.

I see it is the default downloadable package on www.dhis2.com and there is
some explanation there as to which version to download for what.  I guess
all of that is courtesy of Lars.  Chief developer, web master and marketeer
:-)

Cheers
Bob