Re: DHIS 2 Documentation

Johan, an iPhone is pretty cool, but not if you are using it with Emacs to
edit a DHIS manual using DocBook. :) Good thing you were just reading up on
it!

The intrinsic problem with formats such as DockuWiki is that they are pretty
much a one way street. It is an easy format to use, but not entirely easy to
transform into something else. Pure XML formats such as DocBook separate
entirely the content away from the presentation. Want Word? No problem. How
about PDF? Can do. How about an integrated help system with the application?
Should not be an issue as you have pure XML to work with. DocBook solves
that problem, as the content and presentation are completely separate and
dependent only on XML style sheets, of which there are many already
developed.

I am looking at it from the perspective of having a documentation system
that is completely portable to essentially any format, and not necessarily a
browser based format. People often want an actual printed manual and
especially here where I am, it needs to work offline as well as online.What
works on a wiki, may not necessarily work on A4.  For instance, what if I
want to get this (
http://www.openhealthconsortium.org/wiki/doku.php?id=organisation_units)
inside of a user manual to view as PDF? Well, I guess I can print it out
maybe, but it won't be so easy to do it for the entire Wiki. However, if the
original source of the documentation is DocBook (i.e. XML) it is no problem
to render HTML or MediaWiki format, via the plugin that Knut mentions.

I think it would be good to get the feedback of the technical writer before
a final decision is made on way or the other. I am not an expert in either
DocBook or technical documentation (nor a particularly good salesman), but I
have been impressed by how easy it has been to learn, and the amount of
possibilities it opens if documents are authored with content in mind first,
and presentation second, much as application development separates business
logic away from the presentation itself.

Anyway, my two extra cents.