Re: DHIS 2 Documentation

2009/9/11 Lars Helge Øverland <larshelge@xxxxxxxxx>

>> The intrinsic problem with formats such as DockuWiki is that they are
>> pretty much a one way street. It is an easy format to use, but not entirely
>> easy to transform into something else. Pure XML formats such as DocBook
>> separate entirely the content away from the presentation. Want Word? No
>> problem. How about PDF? Can do. How about an integrated help system with the
>> application? Should not be an issue as you have pure XML to work with.
>>

> I want to emphasize this argument: We have decided earlier to have an
> integrated dynamic help function in dhis2, and we already have a simple
> solution implemented which we can build on. Still, syncronizing the content
> of this help function with the general documentation effort would be
> desirable (and necessary). Going for an xml format such as docbook and
> locating the help file inside the repo will solve this issue. Choosing a
> wiki will demand lots of manual work.

Ola and I agree with going for DocBook - so please don't hesitate, Jason.
That said, we should look into ways of making it easy for people to
contribute. An initial approach would be for contributors to send their
material to you, and you make sure it fits in DocBook.

The changes with release 2.0.2 does probably mean a new manual should be
created. Some material from the previous user manual may still be suitable:
http://folk.uio.no/knutst/pub/usermanual/

Knut