Re: DHIS 2 Documentation

Hi Lars,

Glad to see you had a chance to review it. I hope it will catch on. I know
it is a bit more effort, but with all those semi-WYSIWYG editors out there,
it is not much more difficult that creating a Word document. There are going
to be some compromises of course in terms of layout initially. The HTML is
rendered a bit better now with the addition of a style sheet, but it will
probably take a lot more tweaking. However, the important thing to remember
is that any documentation, even if it is a bit ugly, is better than none at
all! We still need to figure out what to do with the DokuWiki and other
pockets of documentation out there.

I think that creation of a separated branch would be the way to go in the
long run. Most people that want to contribute to documentation do not
generally need all of the source code as well, and if the devs want to
contribute to the documentation, well, it is simple enough to do this.
Before we do this however, I think we should somehow formally endorse that
DocBook (or similar presentation neutral XML documents) is the way we want
to go.

I am still willing to coordinate the effort for the time being. This may be
a better short-term solution, so that we can continue to guage what the
interest is in heading this direction with the documentation. Thinking
long-term, I suppose it is no problem that the documentation is in a
separated branch? Ideally, with some sort of integrated help system that is
able to access the documentation directly, we would need to include the
documentation build as part of the entire DHIS2 build process. I guess this
is not an issue, but as I have said previously, maven is just juju for me.
But thank goodness, we have Lars. :)

Best regards,
jason