Re: Community-based system

Hi Abyot

2009/9/21 Abyot Gizaw <abyota@xxxxxxxxx>

> 2009/9/18 Abyot Gizaw <abyota@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Please find the attached.
>>
>> The focus is on house-to-house service delivery for an individual and its
>> subsequent followup with a final goal of generating aggregate figure for
>> DHIS2. At the same time the system should be capable of letting
>> healthworkers record information at the facility.
>>
>> And five points are visible in here - individual, house, service, followup
>> and aggregation - which I think our datamodel should base upon. Individual's
>> grouped together and forming a family, a family with/with-out a house and a
>> number of houses in a village belonging to a subcenter/facility is a context
>> we will be facing out in the community. A health-worker should therefore
>> plan ahead where to go, which house and which individual to meet, and what
>> kind of service to provide. This requires for a strict planning of activity
>> with inputs from standard health services and procedures (for example FP,
>> ANC, Birth, Immunization, ...) and current where about of individuals
>> (making issues of migration another critical factor). In the end, the ground
>> realtity (health status) of a particular village should be reflected in the
>> overall country's HMIS - aggregation and DHIS2.
>>
>> Finally as per the discussion we made yesterday, the agreed plan is to
>> follow the initial approach where we have everything implemented without
>> using OpenMRS. And by the mid of October, the plan is to come up with a
>> demonstratbale version leting users be able to
>>
>>    1. register individuals
>>    2. register housholds
>>    3. generate activityplans for ANMs
>>    4. record observations from house-to-house visits of ANMs
>>
>> Using OpenMRS would have been the ideal choice, especially when thinking
>> of scaling and broader and stronger collaboration with OpenMRS team. But
>> right now we don’t have a resource person (the one who can actually do the
>> coding) who can be at the center of OpenMRS-DHIS2.
>>

>> *Note:*  I have committed the old code on lanuchpad. It can be
>> checked-out from lp: ~dhis2-devs/dhis2/dhis2-chis/
>>
>> What is currently in the code is an almost complete datamodel for the
>> objects shown in the class diagram. For each of the given objects XXXService
>> and XXXStore interfaces are provided together with their hibernate and
>> service implementations.
>>

>> Thank you
>>
>> Abyot.
>>

> Some more points on the design of community-based system.
>
> One thing very important, the whole point is not to build a medical record
> system but to build a feeder system to DHIS2 for specific programs like
> Family planning, Immunization and ANC - for the context of house-to-house
> service delivery and also at a facility. With a possibility for other
> programs....

Good.  I gather from previous discussion on this list that you are not keen
on doing this through the openmrs jar.  I think you have looked at the
detailed issues so are in the best position to make an informed judgement.
I am neutral in this regard.  I do think that it is important that we do try
to find a common approach for dealing with person level data (ie. for
modules including and beyond the community based module) and I am confident
you will do that.

> With DHIS2 acting as a baseline for subsequent analysis, presentation,
> plotting, charting and graphing pulling the data into DHIS2 is very crucial
> and for that we are going to rely on aggregation service - which is yet to
> be implemented.
>
> The way forward for the aggregation service, we planned, is to base on the
> concept of Multidimensional DataElement and use options and their
> combinations as drop-down choices for dataentry. For example we can have
> weight of baby as a dataelement and make Under Weight (xxx g. - yyy g.),
> Normal Weight (aaa g. - bbb g.) and Over Weight ( ccc g. - ddd g.) as
> options and will be used in dropdown for dataentry. Latter we can count
> Number of Babies Under Weight, Normal Weight and Over Weight and pass it to
> DHIS2. We can also have a summary, for example the number of condoms
> distributed during the month.

Very good.  Just a thought to keep in mind which has come up from working
with sdmx.  Just as we have to share dataelement definitions we will also
have to share categories (Dimensions) and options.  It will be worthwhile to
think about how we name them sensibly.  The names you refer to above make a
lot of sense - with I guess a category called something like BabyWeight.
But some of the names I have seen in other existing implementations are a
bit weird ... I suppose it hasn't mattered much as the whole
multidimensional thing has been only used internally (dhis2 to dhis2).

> This will require us to classify our dataelements based on their type of
> aggregation operator for example type SUM, type COUNT and type BOOL - which
> we already have in the existing dataelement of DHIS2. But a limitation with
> this approach no free text is allowed in the system - may be the team from
> India can comment. I am only suggesting this approach from the experience of
> the Indian Line Listing module. Actually would be great if we could get the
> translated dataentry screens as soon as possible so that we make sure we are
> in the right track.

I would like to see whether there is a real use case justification for free
text dataelements as well.  Obviously we want to allow maximum flexibility,
but it is hard to understand, for example, what aggregation could or should
mean in that context.  There is also no mapping we can make with these
dataelements and SDMX and other protocols.  If it is possible to deprecate
them and move towards dropping I would be in favour, but there might of
course be another rationale for keeping them.

On aggregation some of the openMRS guys were talking last week about
medians.  Not sure if there is a real use case but there might be.  Of
course median of booleans is not that useful :-)

Best regards
Bob