Re: On categories and dimensions and zooks

> Thanks for the explanations Jason. The multidimensional model is quite
> complicated, is poorly documented, and as you say is DHIS-centric in the way
> that it is built around the DHIS notion of a Data Element.

Could we assemble and put some of the text being written on the list to
docbook?

> That said, and I think Jason already has made a strong case for this, also
> in a 100% DHIS2 scenario you will need more flexibility in defining
> dimensions to your data than what categories can provide. Being able to
> define data dimensions independent of data collection is powerful and should
> be supported in a better way than what data element groups provide today.
> Given that we already have the orgunit group set code in place I would
> assume that adding group sets to data elements could be a relatively
> straight forward thing to do (but then again, I am not the programmer...).

I don't see any implications in adding this to the system, it won't require
changes to the existing model as the association goes from the groupset to
the groups. We can prioritize this for the 2.0.3 release.