Re: Use liquibase to deal with database changes and tosimplify DHIS update process?

2009/9/29 <sunbiz@xxxxxxxxx>

> I had tutored one student nishtha who was learning java to implement these
> beautiful looking setup screens of openmrs.
>
> So I know its quite simple to inplement and applying updates works quite
> out of the box in liquibase. Though I don't fully understand why we want to
> use it in dhis.

Hi Saptarshi,

The main reason as I see it will be to avoid manual sql update scripts on
all existing installations every time there is a change to the database that
Hibernate cannot take care of. That happened quite often in the past, and
still happens from time to time, although not as often as before as the data
model has stabilised. If liquibase can track all changes to the data model
("master database") and make sure the local database gets updated when
process I think. And my understanding is that it is used in openmrs for
exactly the same reason. Why do you see DHIS as different from OpenMRS when
it comes to using liquibase?

Ola
---------