Re: On categories and dimensions and zooks

2009/10/1 Knut Staring <knutst@xxxxxxxxx>

> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 5:16 PM, <johansa@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> > Here is my suggestion, based on all the mails above, so that we can
>> > develop all of this into a blueprint/specification.
>> >
>> > 1) Categories and category options should be left essentially as is.
>> > 2) Data element groups sets should allow data elements to be assigned
>> > to multiple data element groups. Data elements (both multi-dimensional
>> > and non-multidimensional) should be able to be assigned a particular
>> > (only one)  data element groups.
>> > 3) A data element group set  would be something like "Age", "Sex",
>> > "Disease transmission method". Each data element group set would would
>> > contain multiple data element groups, such as "Under 1, Under 5, Over
>> > 5", "Male, Female", "Vector borne, water borne".
>>
>> No. "Malaria" cannot be male or female. Diarrhoea cannot be 15 years old.
>> But a person with malaria can be male or female, and a 15 year old person
>> can have diarrhoea.
>>
>> The data element groups and group sets are metadata. The categories are
>> event-specific data.

In an ideal world we should be consistent on how we use categories and
groups, I agree. And I tried to put forward some best practices using
Jason's example earlier today. But there is nothing wrong with adding group
sets like Age or Gender, I mean it doesn't break anything right? In the
pivot table it will just be another column describing the data, and you can
choose whether to use it or not, and whether to create it in the first place
or not.  In Jason's case and in any other country where 1.4 is the data
collection tool at the lower levels, the categories cannot be used (and all
data elements are flat) so all dimensionality will have to come from these
group sets and groups. That is why they have to break with the DHIS 2 best
practise.

Ola
---------