Re: Google Motion Chart (Gapminder) connected to DHIS 2 report tables

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 1:20 AM, Ola Hodne Titlestad <olatitle@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Gapminder was discussed during the Goa workshop in July, here is a relevant
> cut from the summary that was sent out by Sundeep:
>
> --------------
> "GapMinder was presented by Greg Rowles from HISP South Africa. This is a
> very interesting data visualization tool that has been developed by Dr. Hans
> Rossling’s group from Karolinska Institute, in Sweden. Basically, the tool
> allows for a dynamic visualization of two related variables in relation to a
> reference variable such as population which is depicted as bubbles with the
> size of it indicating the relative values. It was pointed out that this tool
> is an online system that draws upon google serves. Saptarishi pointed out
> that this can be subverted by caching the google services for the particular
> country that is being analyzed. Bob pointed out to potential intellectual
> property infringement concerns. The tool was liked significantly by all, and
> it was agreed that Bharath and Saptarishi would explore how it may be
> integrated with the dashboard of DHIS2."
> --------------

Ok, I had not read this, obviously. Has any progress been made? Some
thinking may be required on how to best integrate - I chose report tables
because in a motion chart you obviously want to have more than one numerical
variable (i.e. a crosstab of indicators or data elements). It would make
sense to relate this to the current JFreeChart options. And also make all
charting possibilities readily available from other places in DHIS 2, such
as from data entry, since people would often like to visualize what they
have just painstakingly entered.

We certainly should look at offline caching possibilities. But I don't think
it is a showstopper to have to be online either - we have many users who
are. Here is a range of other interactive charts we should evaluate for
suitability:
http://www.amcharts.com/ (not FOSS, but free with a small logo, works
offline)
http://chart.inetsoft.com/gallery.html
http://www.ajaxline.com/10-best-flash-and-silverlight-chart-controls
http://www.swivel.com/

> Greg told us that in SA they have been working with Gapminder integration
> and if I remember correctly have a copy of the code for the previous (pre
> Google?) version of the app.
>
> I though this was called Google trend analyser now. Is Google motion charts
> just the same thing or different somehow?
>
> Motion Charts is the new name of Trendalyzer:
http://blogstats.wordpress.com/2008/04/13/trendalyzer-becomes-motion-chart/

Here is a good recent article on motion chart use:
http://searchengineland.com/how-to-use-google-analytics-motion-charts-to-maximize-results-24146

Here is a java plugin for motion chart, with source code:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/SONAR/Motion+Chart+plugin

On that note, we also really have to improve our ability to easily import
data from various sources - which people will very much want to do now that
we have excellent GIS and charting capabilities. I found the Swivel Toolbar
for Excel to be helpful in transforming crosstabbed matrix data into
relational table format, but that is just the first step.
http://www.google.ch/search?q=swivel+toolbar

Knut

Ola