Re: Custom Data Entry Forms

2009/10/27 Lars Helge Øverland <larshelge@xxxxxxxxx>

> On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 2:48 PM, Bob Jolliffe <bobjolliffe@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
>> It seems to me we are missing a level of grouping.  We need to group
>> dataelements which have similar dimensionality (presumably using a DataSet)
>> and we also need to group the dataelements which might appear on a form.
>> The two are not necessarily the same.
>>

>> Do we need a FormData abstraction which perhaps contains a set of
>> DataSets?  I suspect this is tyhe right way to go.
>>

> Makes sense. Actually the DataSet holds information about PeriodType,
> assigned OrganisationUnits and locking which should be equal for all the
> sub-elements. So we need a sub-element which has a DimensionSet and a set of
> DataElements. Maybe Form and FormSection.

Not sure exactly how it will affect your design suggestions, but I would
like to see the forms to be as flexible as possible, mainly concerned with
presentation and not so much with the underlying data. E.g it would be great
if we could start to support multiple orgunits and/or periods in our data
entry forms. No need to restrict a form instance to use only one orgunit and
one period. Data values saved in a form will have those restrictions of
course, but being able to compose forms that combine different sources and
periods makes a lot of sense, e.g. when registering one or a few data
elements (e.g. population data) for many orgunits, or when a community
health worker needs to manage facility, household and patient/client data at
the same time.

Ola