Re: maven question

2009/10/30 Bob Jolliffe <bobjolliffe@xxxxxxxxx>

> I am currently struggling to build dhis2 correctly :-(  I think it reflects
> my fairly thin grasp on the workings of maven.
>
> Let me retrace my steps:
>
> 1.  cd <src dir of dhis2>
> mvn clean install -Dtest=skip -DfailIfNoTests=false
>
> 2.  cd dhis-web
> mvn clean install -Dtest=skip -DfailIfNoTests=false
>
> 3.  cd dhis-web-portal (this step is not necessary but I'll do out of
> superstition)
> mvn clean install -Dtest=skip -DfailIfNoTests=false

Fine that you're superstitious Bob, but this (rather time consuming, unless
you need time to get another cup of coffee) step is exactly the same as the
last process taking place in step 2 above since the portal is defined as a
the last module in dhis-web/pom.xml, so your dhis.war will already be in
dhis-web/dhis-web-portal/target after step 2.

Given all the problems with pom.xml files lately (the portal mess was just a
few weeks ago) and the expressed unfriendliness towards Maven among some of
the developers it seems there is a need for a How we use/take advantage of
maven in DHIS 2 guide to better spread the gospel. I guess it should be part
of the technical documentation, if it not already there.

As a start, would a few explaining comments in the two root pom's maybe
help?

I am not saying that you all have to love maven, but would be good if
everyone knew how to use it.

Ola