Naming and branding - Oware?

Hello everyone,

There has from time to time been discussions about the branding of our
software. It has been pointed out by many that the current name is far too
restrictive: We are not building just a District system, and it is not only
targeted to Health data, i.e. DHIS is really a misnomer.

As you also know, we also see the software as a possible successor of
HealthMapper (which has lead to the suggestion of OpenHealthMapper).
However, that branding may also in fact be too restrictive, in that it again
narrows things down to Health and skews it unduly towards Mapping, which is
just a tiny bit of the overall functionality.

Jason and I were just discussing the issue of too restrictive naming, and he
came up with the well known African game where seeds/beads are placed in
pits, which goes under a range of names:
*Awari, Mancale, Ayo* (Yoruba <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoruba_language>
), *Awalé* (Côte d'Ivoire<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C3%B4te_d%27Ivoire>
), *Wari* (Mali <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mali>), *Ouri, Ouril or Uril*
 (Cape Verde <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Verde>), *Warri*
(Caribbean), *Adji* (Ewe <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ewe_language>), and *
Awélé* (Ga <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ga_language>), according to
Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oware

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oware>I thought it was quite a nicely fitting
name, especially thinking of Jørn's famous pic from Sierra Leone:
http://www.openhealthconsortium.org/wiki/lib/exe/fetch.php?cache=&media=sl_stones_.jpg

Knut

--
Cheers,