Re: iHRIS and DHIS interoperability news

Den 20. nov. 2009 kl. 10.36 skrev Saptarshi Purkayastha:

> iHRIS uses PHP, runs on Apache or another web server
> DHIS2/OpenMRS, runs on Java Servlet Container
>
> They could be on the same machine, across VMs, different machines... connected/disconnected, offices etc.

Of course, and this illustrates my question perfectly.

> 2009/11/20 Jo Størset <storset@xxxxxxxxx>
> That is a pretty diverse and heavy set of technologies. Can you tell a bit more about the requirements and architecture that might require the use of the WS-* stack, binary, compiled formats or a fullblown messaging infrastructure. What are the potential reasons for not just using the existing web infrastructure both applications are deployed to?

Given the diverse contexts, introducing technological complexity through technology like SOAP, MoM or the like, introduces complexity in addition to the one thing that *is* already linking the two applications: the web.

It might be that we can´t rely on the two applications being networked (disconnected, above), but then it wouldn´t exactly be wise to introduce "SOAP, protobuf or MoM like xmlBlaster, activeMQ etc.".

Given that we *have* some sort of network between the two applications, we know, since they are both web based, that they can talk over http without adding any fancy technology (think REST or just plain old "xml over http").

So, since both applications are both deployed to the web, and thereby can talk to each other over this existing infrastructure, what are the requirements or architectural constraints that would make adding the technological complexity wise?

Jo