Re: DXF <-> entity mapping

Den 15. des. 2009 kl. 11.47 skrev Bob Jolliffe:

> I´m not entirely convinced that it will be that much more flexible. I mean, it really depends on how important backwards compability will be, and currently the domain model is a bit too changing to warrant it. So, at the moment I tend to think that planned breaking changes to a single export format would be preferable. The added complexity and extra resources needed to maintain a separate mapping layer and multiple versions just seem to outweigh the benefits. If we don´t have that many concrete use cases in the short term, the cost of upgrading them seems preferable?
>
> OK.  I would say go with what you are convinced by.

Hey, don´t "go with what you are convinced by" me :) Seriously, it would be helpful to have some common ground on where we will be moving in the short/medium future. I haven´t really gotten a good feeling for how things move in dhis yet, so my conviction might be way off.

This kind of feels like an important choice, so it might pay off to get it right. It feels likely to create a "path-dependency" (this phd stuff is getting to me :), the way we start now is not likely to be reversed. But I would still like to have some proposal ready this week.

> We can always pre-process old versions on the way in to massage them into whatever is current if the need arises.

Yes, we should be able to, shouldn´t we.

Lars, I guess you are the one with the strongest opinions on this. Are you on the beach? Anyone else?

Jo