Re: Linux/Cygwin shell scripts for simplifying admin layers

Hi Knut,
I think using Postgis would be the easiest way. I am not aware of how
ogr2ogr can do simplification but perhaps.

You can also use ogr2ogr for injection of shape files into Postgres,
instead of shp2pgsql.
Likewise, you can extract Postgis data out of Postgis with ogr2ogr.
With a carefully constructed SQL query, you might be able to do
everything in a single command similar to this
http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/fwtools/2007-April/000750.html

> I suppose I could do shp2pgsql -> simplify -> pgsql2shp -> ogr2ogr ->
> geojson (thus eliminating the need for Geoserver).

> As for FME, I have not looked at how to include it in scripts (and we only
> have one license for it).

True. I was thinking maybe if you were going to do a one off
conversion, FME would be a good choice. However, for something to
distribute, ogr2ogr combined with Postgis should be able to do this
task .

Regards,
Jason