Re: Pivot views and resource tables - problem when updating/dropping resource tables referenced by pivot views

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 7:55 PM, Jason Pickering <
jason.p.pickering@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Just TRUNCATE the table or "DELETE FROM foo WHERE 0" should work as
> well. If columns need to be added, just do it. No need to drop the
> table just because of this.

Yes but one can theoretically remove and/or change all categories, meaning
that all columns in the categories resource table will have to be
re-generated.

Not saying it can't be done but it is a bit inconvenient. Would it be
feasible to drop all columns in a table, then add the required columns to
it? Would the view allow that?

> The question for me is, what about other views that are really not
> part of the main DHIS2 distribution? Even if we managed to include the
> "stock views" there may be people who want to build analysis outside
> of the DHIS2 box. Dropping tables really does complicate matters.
> Otherwise, we would need to determine, what if any impact dropping a
> table will have, and then figure out how to resolve it.

(Just to clarify, we would have those "standard" views in addition to a
function for adding custom views)

Just curious, in what cases would one not be able to persist views through
DHIS2 ?