Re: Installation on Ubuntu

The deb package as it is currently is set up with dependencies on java and
tomcat (so they will be triggered to install if necessary).  By default it
will just run out of the box using an h2 database in /opt/dhis2/database.

I held off on the postgres dependency because I know there are also mysql
users out there so it didn't seem right to make it a dependency.  So
currently you would be required to:

1.  install dhis2 from deb
2.  install postgres (apt-get install )
3.  configure hibernate.properties manually

I guess what would be useful hand-holding would be to have a dhis2-postgres
meta package which does the above three, though I'm not sure entirely how to
handle dependencies where dhis2 is not yet available from ubuntu
repositories.  Basically this would just contain just the
hibernate.properties and the dependency information.  A dhis2-mysql package
would look very similar.

One solution would be to host the debs in a repository on dhis2.org.  Then
it would just be a case of getting users to add http://dhis2.org to their
software sources.

A simpler (and much uglier) solution is to create dhis2-postgres as an
alternative version of dhis2 package with the exception that this has the
webapp as well as the postgres dependency and hibernate.properties

Cheers
Bob

PS.  How real is the use case.  ie is it worth putting effort into this?  I
didn't get the sense that there was too much interest in the deb.  It seems
to be a useful little curiosity.