Re: DHIS2 live installer

Hi Jason

Thanks for the effort you have put into this.  Basically you are
correct - all the steps for putting the pieces together should be
easily automated.  Not being a maven guru, I have not taken this last
important step.  So I have used maven as far as building the jars.
Doing the launch4j wrapper, creating the directories and lzpack and
stuff I could do very easily with a makefile but it should be doable
with the dreaded maven as well.

Packaging with a default hibernate.properties which points to a
postgres database is also of course trivial.  Presumably you would
install postgres with its native installer?  And do that first.  The
missing piece of the puzzle would be to create the empty dhis pg
database between the steps of installing postgres and installing
dhis2-live.  I guess the logic of using H2 as default is that it is
more foolproof for a simple install.

One way of doing this (which would also be cross-platform) would be to
make a tcl based installer.  Now I know this is not the latest
buzz-hype language but there is a long history of creating installers
this way (http://wiki.tcl.tk/1896) and it remains very actively
maintained and developed.  The benefit is you can combine the ability
to create windows shortcuts, registry entries etc with the ability to
script postgres (and mysql) with a cross-platform gui.  I used to be a
dab hand at embedding tcl in my previous life.  Would love to look at
something like this when I get a breather ...

Did you try importing dxf into h2?  The dxf2 project is not dead (just
resting).  It would be good to get a list of requirements of crucial
things people have found missing.  You will certainly get all your
data values, datasets, orgunits etc.

Cheers
Bob

Follow ups