Re: [Branch ~dhis2-devs-core/dhis2/trunk] Rev 1426: Final regex adjustment allows for numerals following first letter. These are all ok:

Certainly more concise.  I like using \w - should have done that.
Though I'm not so sure about using the case_insensitive (slight pun
intended) flag.

I'd rather the regex is selfcontained.  Maybe an inline quantifier like

is better.  Though this no longer matches in my emacs regexp builder.
I think I could live with

"^[a-zA-Z]\w{0,9}$"

and this is very portable.