Re: New installer available: Testers wanted

2010/3/1 Jason Pickering <jason.p.pickering@xxxxxxxxx>

> Hi there. I think we should focus on giving the user a choice at install
> time.
>
> 1) Install H2
> 2) Install Postgres
>
> This is pretty simple. Now the question is how easy is an unattended
> Postgres install. We can easily package the Postgres MSI and have the
> user click through. Now, any number of problems can occur there, so it
> is probably not a good idea. I think the unattended Postgres install
> is the best option, but it requires administrative rights, which the
> installer can request, but there is no guarantee they will be granted.
> Knut previous work includes many of the pieces of the puzzle, but it
> does not solve the unattended Postgres install,which I see as the
> biggest risk. If that does not install, then you are stuffed.
>
> Write up a blueprint and include the actual requirements, and I will
> take a look at it on the plane.

The user option for choosing database sounds really good to me.

User rights will always be an issue, we can make people aware of it on the
website and in a Readme. I don't think we should worry so much about Vista,
even MS doesn't recommend using it now...

Will write a blueprint.