Re: New installer available: Testers wanted

2010/3/1 Jason Pickering <jason.p.pickering@xxxxxxxxx>

> Oh, my other question would be as well, should Java be installed as
> part of the installation?
>
> Right now, the installer checks, and bails if an accepted (1.6.0_18)
> is not installed.  Installing Java should be a easy, but it causes
> problems on stupid WHO Synergy machines, but I must hope that these
> types of machine will not be the standard ones the installer is
> intended for.

As you say we have two scenarios: Offline, where it would be useful to
include java, and online, where user feedback would be sufficient. Launch4j
has a nice feature where you are redirected to the java download page if
java is not already installed. Could that be done with Bitrock?

> Packing both Postgres and Java will certainly up the size of the
> installer, but maybe this will still be ok for people that will
> distribute locally on CD. If you have a decent connection, I guess it
> does not really matter. I would think these two packages would add at
> least 60 MB to the final installer size, which would mean the total
> footprint would be around 120 MB.
>
> What about Firefox? DHIS2 has some, ahem, issues in IE. Unless these
> are fixed, I would think it should be a part of the installation
> process, and a hook should be included in the Live package to launch
> DHIS2 in Firefox, overriding the default browser choice...it really
> starts to get complicated...

We are actually just a few fixes away from being compliant with Chrome and
Opera, IE 8 shouldn't be too hard either. What we could do is to detect the
current browser when logging in to the system and display a message if it is
not among the supported ones.